Friday, August 14, 2009

Stranded


Colorwork is something I have been a bit scared of. I've always thought that it's difficult and the result will not be something I would love - like there's too much of something and that something is too decorative. But not any more!

I have in mind a few wonderful colorwork ideas (at least in my mind they seem great...), but before trying to see how those ideas come together I needed to get rid of my fear of colorwork. So I took out Knitting Without Tears, scribbled some colorwork patterns on paper and casted on. Then a few days later I found the beautiful designs by Jared Flood in his pamphlet Made in Brooklyn - and I had copy some ideas from his design Stilwell (rav).


Pattern: Seamless Yoke Sweater by Elizabeth Zimmermann, modified a bit.
Yarn: Schachenmayr nomotta Alpaka Fashion
Needles: 5 mm, 4 mm


It was so much fun! After a hard few rows I got used to changing color and the tension started to be loose enough. Now I can start to think about those colorwork ideas of mine more thoroughly and see if they are up to any good.

7 comments:

Laura Michelle said...

I'm a bit scared of colourwork too - still working up the courage to dive in. This is really beautiful!

alittlebitofscrap said...

It is a very lovely sweater. I too am horrified of colorwork and have tried it only once, but my gauge was horrible. There is a hat and sweater pattern in the new Interweave Knits mag that I want to try. I just might, However, instead of using 4 different colors, I may use one skein of Noro :)

Gudrun Johnston said...

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see what else you do!

Linda said...

I like colourwork in small doses, like that sweater. I love the collar!

outi said...

Aika upea startti kirjoneuleillesi. Mitähän sieltä vielä tuleekaan..:)

Christie said...

Lovely job! I've got colorwork in my future! thanks for the inspiration!

veera said...

Thank you. And I do encourage all of you to try some stranded knitting, colorwork really is so much fun!